U2 The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 Questions and Answers: Post Sale
Original Story by U2Songs.Com Staff (2017-02-16)
Last Updated: February 22, 2017
Where do I find out more info about the tour?
- U2.Com should be your first source for information (U2.com help page). The team there will update tour FAQS and dates will be listed there.
- U2.Com has a list of dates / cities / opening acts at: http://www.u2.com/tour
- U2.Com has a longer article discussing the tour at: http://www.u2.com/news/title/the-joshua-tree-tour-2017/news/
- We will maintain this list of questions throughout the ticket buying and right up to the tour if there is interest. If you have a question email it to us at contact @ u2wanderer.org, or tweet us, or facebook us.
- You can also check out our Joshua Tree Tour 2017 news archive.
Why The Joshua Tree?
- There are a number of articles being written about this tour which address some of this:
- Billboard.Com offers up “U2’s ‘Joshua Tree’ Tour is More than Nostalgia, Its Inclusiveness is Vital for 2017“
- The Irish Times (Brian Boyd) features “U2 to outline tour dates for The Joshua Tree on Monday“.
- Rolling Stone (Andy Greene) features “The Edge Breaks Down U2’s Upcoming ‘Joshua Tree’ Tour“ (Interview with The Edge)
- Rolling Stone (Andy Greene) features “U2’s Longtime Stage Designer Talks ‘Joshua Tree’ Tour 2017“ (Interview with Willie Williams)
- Rolling Stone (Andy Greene) features “U2’s Adam Clayton Talks ‘Joshua Tree’ Tour, ‘Songs of Experience’“ (Interview with Adam Clayton)
- Rolling Stone Podcast features Andy Greene interviewing The Edge.
- Mojo Magazine previews their article about the upcoming Joshua Tree tour.
- Adam Clayton appeared on RTE with Ryan Turbridy to discuss the tour. Audio available at the link. (Look for the Adam Clayton mention on January 9)
Will they play the entire album?
- Adam said they want to play every track off of the album.
- Adam said until they get it rehearsed they will not know if it is sequential or in pieces.
- He also said “There will be other material in the show, because The Joshua Tree album was 45 minutes. I would imagine there will be some songs that existed on the Songs of Innocence show which lead us up to the Joshua Tree, and then i think that will be performed at some point in the show, and then there will be something after it to herald the future and where we are going with Songs of Experience.”
What shows will U2 play on the tour?
- U2.com keeps an up to date list of all announced shows here.
What is a Collector Ticket?
- This was an add on when you buy your ticket. For an additional 5.95 Euro you could add on a special plastic “Collector Ticket” which will allow you access through the barcode on the ticket.
- The following image was included with the advertisement, and the ones that have been sent out for Paris look like this design:
Limited edition “collectors tickets” were available for Amsterdam, Paris, Berlin, Rome and Dublin in both the presale and regular sale. In London they were available only for the regular sale.
Note: Some of our viewers are reporting that they have had issues with collectors tickets getting scanned properly in the past, so perhaps something to consider when making your decision.
When Will My Tickets Arrive?
Tickets have started to arrive for these shows. But not all cities have shipped tickets at this point.
In many venues in North America locations on the floor are through an electronic ticket and there will be no hard ticket issued. In those cases, entry is by using the credit card used to purchase the tickets. But in many of these cities seated tickets are the usual paper ticket. It appears most tickets have started to be shipped and we have reports of tickets showing up for Dallas, Tampa, Foxboro (Boston), East Rutherford (New York) and tickets of both the VIP and normal variety have started to show up.
In Europe there were a variety of ticket options, and most cities offered a hard ticket, with the exception of Brussels where you purchased an electronic ticket that would be printed from home.
- London: No tickets yet that we know of.
- Berlin: Regular tickets have started to arrive. Collector tickets have also started to arrive.
- Rome: Regular tickets on glossy paper have been shipped and are arriving.
- Barcelona: Tickets for the Barcelona shows have started to arrive.
- Dublin: Some regular tickets have been shipped at this point and fans are reporting these are slowly starting to show up. The statement many see when they log in is “We’ve received the tickets in for your event and we’re now starting to send them out. Don’t panic. If your friends get theirs before you – we send tickets out in batches, so they may not arrive all at the same time. Collectors tickets have also started to show up worldwide.
- Paris: Both the Collector tickets and the regular tickets started showing up days after the sale for both shows.
- Amsterdam: Regular tickets have started to arrive by mail for Amsterdam, but so far there are no reports of Collector Tickets having been received.
- Brussels: Print at home options, or delivery to your mobile device.
What is this Credit Card Entry for the North American shows?
Credit card entry means what it sounds like. You use your credit card on the day of the show to enter the venue. As you are lined up and entering you will present the credit card you used to buy the tickets, and they will scan it at the door. This will tell them how many to admit. At some locations on the last tour a small slip of paper was printed as well as a receipt which you would then show to get your wristbands.
There is no physical tickets in these cases, and the credit card you used to buy the tickets is your way in. It also means that all of the people you have bought tickets for on the one card HAVE to enter at the same time.
What if I have to get a new Credit Card before the show?
There’s two options here. First one is to call Ticketmaster and to let them know what has occurred and they may be able to transfer the tickets to the new card number. At some venues on the last tour, this transfer would not be done unless you presented yourself in person at the box office with ID, and the transfer would only be done on the day of the show.
But if you are still in possession of the old card, people reported on the last tour that the could enter the venue with the old card, even if it had been deactivated. However it is best to check at the venue ahead of time to make sure this will work.
What is the stage set up like?
Full details are still limited on how the stage will be set up but each venue did have maps of the stage setup when tickets were on sale.
The stage map for the Croke Park shows offered perhaps the most interesting look into the show, yes that is a Johsua Tree on the stage:
Rolling Stone asked Willie Williams about that image, and his reply was “Oh, OK, gosh. Yes. If it’s on Ticketmaster, I don’t mind telling you. We’re still kind of working that out, but the shadow of the tree is on the pitch.”
What is the configuration for the Tour?
The tour will have a General Admission floor for Europe and North America. A special Red Zone will be to one side of the catwalk. This is a standing room area as well.
In most venues the seats directly behind the stage are greyed out, and do not appear that they will be sold. This suggests that the view may be blocked from those seats behind the stage.
There are also a number of VIP Packages available, some of which are still available for sale, see below.
What are these Silver and Gold packages? “Silver and Gold”? Get it?
Gold Hot Ticket Package includes a top priced seated ticket to see U2 live. A commemorative U2 tour laminate and lanyard. Merchandise item designed exclusively for package purchasers and designated check-In with our on-site event staff.
Silver Hot Ticket Package includes a seated ticket in second price level to see U2 live. A commemorative U2 tour laminate and lanyard. Merchandise item designed exclusively for package purchasers and designated check-In with our on-site event staff.
VIP Party Package includes: One top priced seated ticket to see U2 live. Pre-show party in venue close to the stadium. Pre-show dinner in informal setting with complimentary drinks. Cloakroom (pre-show only). Commemorative U2 tour laminate and lanyard. Merchandise item designed exclusively for package purchasers. Designated check-in with our on-site event staff. Private toilet and exclusive bar (pre-show only) and a reserved parking ticket for surrounding parking lots (1 per 2 persons).
All pricing is without delivery fees and payment fees. The information above is taken from the Ticketmaster Belgium site. VIP Packages at other sites may vary.
Who are the opening acts?
- In North America the duties will be shared between Mumford and Sons, The Lumineers and One Republic.
- Mumford & Sons will open in Vancouver, Seattle, San Francisco.
- The Lumineers will open in Los Angeles, Houston, Dallas, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Washington, Toronto, Boston, and East Rutherford.
- One Republic will open in Miami, Tampa, Louisville and Cleveland.
- In Europe the opening act for all current listed shows is Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds.
- There will be one opening act per night as currently listed.
What if I have physical difficulties that limit my access to the shows?
- In the past we’ve recommended that people facing any sort of issues, from blindness, to insulin pumps to seek information from the venue in advance of the concert. Each venue is likely to have their own individual ways to answer these questions, and different procedures and policies, so in these cases it is always best to talk to the venue direct, and in advance of buying tickets if possible.
Can everyone be on the GA Floor?
- In Brussels, Belgium, the ticketmaster website is listing a limitation on the age of people on the floor. Under 12’s are recommended to buy a seat. Young children are NOT allowed on the standing floor, which also includes the (RED) Zone Package.
Under 16’s who prefer the standing floor, including the (RED) Zone Package, MUST be accompanied by an adult in possession of a valid ticket in the same price level. (They do not define “young”)
- In London the GA floor is limited to persons over the age of 14.
- In Dublin they list “No under 16’s will be allowed on the pitch unless accompanied by an adult. Standing tickets only available to persons aged 14 and over.”
Where is my fan club gift?
As part of getting tickets many people signed up for the fan club. The membership gives an annual gift which used to be gifted each fall. (Although there were many years that the gifts were delayed.) In late 2015, faced with no information on the fan club gift, U2.com extended subscription renewals until the gift could be sorted, which means that fans who once had a late in the year subscription now come up for renewal in the early part of the year. Most of us are coming due now. And any new subscribers are also asking, what’s the new gift and when it is coming. It is our understanding that the fan club is near to being able to tell us what the gift will be but final details are being sorted. All we can say for sure is we hope to be able to share some news soon.
The full video announcement of the tour can be viewed on YouTube.
City Specific Questions:
My tickets don’t look like everyone else?
In Berlin there were two companies selling tickets for the event. Eventim.de has issued glossy tickets. These are black and white, with a picture of the band and the tour logo on the ticket. Ticketmaster.de had issued plain system tickets, these are black and white with a blue border, and a ticketmaster hologram affixed to the ticket. Both types of tickets are official but look very different. There were also collector tickets sold for this show (see above) and these have not started to arrive yet, so we cannot report what these look like.
BONNAROO MUSIC FESTIVAL
Have U2 confirmed when they are playing Bonnaroo?
Yes, the schedule has been published and U2 are playing the Friday night, June 9, 2017 at the Bonnaroo Festival in Manchester TN.
Who else are playing the day U2 are?
Other acts due to perform on June 9, 2017 are Major Lazer, The XX, Big Gigantic, Glass Animals, Tove Lo, Portugal The Man, Cold War Kids, Kaleo, Rus, D.R.A.M., The Strumbellas and a number of other acts including Angelique Kidjo’s Remain in Light. A full list of performers can be seen at the Bonnaroo site.
Are tickets available just for the day that U2 are performing?
Yes a 1-day GA ticket of your choice is available for $210.50US including shuttle from Nashville. These single day tickets are only available in conjunction with the shuttle. These tickets as well as 4-day passes to the festival are still available at the Bonnaroo site.
What are the differences between Pitch 1 and Pitch 2?
The Pitch 1 tickets we have seen list the entry gate as “Red Route, Enter via St James Ave and Foster TCE / Pitch Stiles”. The Pitch 2 tickets list the entry gate as “Red Route, Enter via St James Ave and Foster TCE & Turnstile A” OR “Green Route, Enter via Clonliffe Road / St. Joseph Avenue & Turnstile K”. The tickets for Pitch 2 are specifying which turnstile can be used to enter that area, where the Pitch 1 tickets do not seem to specify this based on the tickets we have information about. If you have a Pitch ticket for Dublin, please let us know if you have information that differs!
Tickets for Croke Park in Dublin had two sections of GA that you could choose from in this mornings presale, Pitch 1 or Pitch 2. The floor was not split in this manner in other venues, Brussels for instance only had one option for the floor. There was also no differentiation of GA areas for the others shows when they went on sale, although in some markets the tickets themselves come marked as different areas for accounting purposes.
Will there be a second show?
Probably not at this point. But never say never. The Rolling Stones have been rumoured to be the third act to be playing Croke Park this summer. See more on our thoughts about the rumours of a second show here.
I’ve heard Dublin has some additional rules for the shows?
- Pitch standing access is as per assigned entry route on tickets only. – No under 16’s will be allowed on the pitch unless accompanied by an adult. Standing tickets only available to persons aged 14 and over. – All under 16’s entering the stadium to be accompanied by Parent or Guardian. – Upper Levels are quite High, Please do not purchase these if you suffer from Vertigo. – No queuing will be permitted prior to gates opening.
Is this the normal set up for the stage?
No, Brussels looks to be a unique experience. Instead of the stage being set at the narrowest side of the field, early diagrams show that the stage is oriented along the long side in Brussels.