This section collects information about upcoming U2 releases, their status, and provide news links to updates about these projects. It will also detail information about other projects that the band are involved in such as solo projects, and other expected appearances. Below the updates on each project are links to news stories about upcoming projects where you can find more information about these releases.
Discography Entries for Upcoming ProjectsThe following releases are now covered in the discography section of the website, and all information will be collected on those entries going forward. News links will continue to appear below.
- Songs of Experience Album (Due December 1, 2017)
- The Joshua Tree Singles Vinyl Collection 1987 & 2017 (Due September, 2017 - Delayed)
- The Joshua Tree - New Roots Compilation Album (Due October 27, 2017)
"Get Out of Your Own Way" Single - U2 (Unknown)
- While in Mexico City U2 filmed a video for this song.
- It is expected to be the second single from Songs of Experience.
- The song is rumoured to be released around the end of October / start of November.
Songs of Ascent Album - U2 (Unknown)
- Bono has confirmed that Songs of Ascent still exists and may one day be released.
- Daniel Lanois confirmed that although "Every Breaking Wave" was due to be on this album, the rest of the songs remain unreleased.
Waiting for the Miracle to Come Film (2017)
- Bono has written a song for the movie, "Where the Shadows Fall" which Willie Nelson has recorded for the end of the film
- Bono has recorded backing vocals on the track.
- A release date for the film has not been announced, and was originally mentioned for release in 2016, but did not appear last year. Stay tuned to the film website for an announcement of the date.
Finding Home (Innocence + Experience Tour) Documentary - U2 (Not Scheduled)
- When the initial annoucement was made that the Paris concert would be streamed on HBO there was also a tour documentary announced.
- The documentary takes a look into the creation of U2’s wildly innovative and widely acclaimed iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE world tour, which began May 14 in Vancouver and currently runs through November. The special will detail how a show of this magnitude is conceived, revealing the blood, sweat and imagination that have gone into making iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE, the tour that would ultimately “reinvent the arena show,” according to Rolling Stone’s opening-night review.
- Interviews in the documentary include all four members of U2 – Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr. – as well as the supporting cast of Willie Williams, who has created tour concepts for the band for more than 30 years, award-winning designer Es Devlin, newly signed on for this tour, production director Jake Berry, audio director Joe O’Herlihy, executive director Gavin Friday, set designer Ric Lipson and others who bring iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE to life around U2’s music, night after night.
- The special also explores the challenges and setbacks U2 faced in the months before tour rehearsals began in April, including Bono’s serious bicycle accident in New York last fall, and his — and the band’s — hard road getting back into “fighting shape” for their triumphant return with iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE. This exclusive documentary chronicles in detail how these same four friends, who started out as a humble punk band from the Northside of Dublin more than 30 years ago, continue to create magic nightly with the most grandiose, yet most intimate, arena tour ever staged.
- The documentary is being directed by Davis Guggenheim, who was behind "It Might Get Loud" and "From the Sky Down" and it is tentatively being called "Finding Home"
- Fans were interviewed for this documentary at various locations throughout 2015
- HBO told atu2.com that "The one-hour documentary, initially planned for Nov. 7th, is still in development. U2, HBO and Davis Guggenheim look forward to revealing more information about the documentary in the near future."
Unknown Collaboration between Bono and DJ Khaled (2016)
- DJ Khaled revealed on Snapchat that he was working on a "movie" with Bono.
- The other "movie" Khaled worked on that day was for a non profit foundatation called Get Schooled, so this may be for one of Bono's projects like (RED).
- DJ Khaled did feature on the (RED) Special on Jimmy Kimmel in December 2016.
Related News Stories:
- 2017-10-18 Revelations about Songs of Experience on “Written in My Soul” - Aaron J. Sams
- 2017-10-11 Songs of Experience Track List - Aaron J. Sams
- 2017-09-15 U2 Contributing to T. Rex Tribute Album - Aaron J. Sams
- 2017-08-31 Songs of Experience Updates: September 1 - Aaron J. Sams
- 2017-08-29 “The Blackout” is imminent! - Don Morgan
- 2017-08-14 Songs of Experience Update - Aaron J. Sams
- 2017-07-31 U2 film for the “Best Thing” - Aaron J. Sams
- 2017-07-16 Songs of Experience Listening Sessions - Aaron J. Sams
- 2017-07-11 U2 Recording / Filming in London - Aaron J. Sams
- 2017-06-11 Larry Mullen features on Alice Cooper Single and Album - Aaron J. Sams
- 2017-05-23 Songs of Experience: “You’re the Best Thing About Me” to be the Next Single - Aaron J. Sams
- 2017-02-18 Songs of Experience Update - Aaron J. Sams
- 2016-09-13 Steve Lillywhite Mixing New U2 Single - Aaron J. Sams
- 2016-09-12 Another Day, Another Leak - Aaron J. Sams
- 2016-08-22 New U2 Song Made Its Debut This Weekend - Renee Grant
- 2016-08-22 Kygo Teases U2 Collaboration at Cloud 9 Festival - Gil Kaufman
- 2016-08-21 The History Mix: Producers of Experience - Aaron J. Sams
- 2016-08-20 Kygo Premieres New U2 Song, “You’re The Best Thing (About Me)” - Aaron J. Sams
- 2016-03-24 U2 Working with Jacknife Lee on New Album? - Aaron J. Sams / Dan Basquill
- 2016-03-03 Bono and Willie Waiting for a Miracle - Aaron J. Sams
- 2015-12-29 Songs of Experience on the Horizon -
- 2015-07-30 U2 to Headline two Specials on HBO this November -