The Edge on new Lol Tolhurst x Budgie x Jacknife Lee Album
Original Story by Aaron J. Sams (2023-07-24)
U2’s The Edge will feature on two new tracks on a new album from a trio called “Lol Tolhurst x Budgie x Jacknife Lee”. The Edge will feature on “Train With No Station” and “Noche Oscura” on the 13-track album. The album is called Los Angeles and also features appearances from James Murphy (LCD Soundsystem), Isaac Brock (Modest Mouse) and Bobby Gillespie (Primal Scream) among others.
Lol Tolhurst was drummer and founding member of The Cure. Budgie is the drummer for Siouxsie & the Banshees. Producer Jacknife Lee is the third member of the trio. Lee, recently worked with Bono on his solo tour and has been working with U2 in a production capacity since 2004’s How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. We’ve taken a look at Jacknife Lee’s work via our 5 Albums and 5 More Albums columns recently.
The press for the album shares, “The three-way ‘Los Angeles’ collaboration was born out of a curiosity which just wouldn’t die. Made up of two of the most illustrious and inventive drummers of the post-punk era, The Cure’s Lol Tolhurst, and Budgie from Siouxsie & The Banshees and The Creatures, along with stellar producer and multi-instrumentalist Garret ‘Jacknife’ Lee, this unlikely alt-supergroup have spent the last four years spiriting up one of the most extraordinary albums to appear in 2023.”
The full track listing is:
- This is What It Is (To Be Free) (Featuring Bobby Gillespie) (4:43)
- Los Angeles (Featuring James Murphy) (06:24)
- Uh Oh (Featuring Arrow de Wilde and Mark Bowen) (03:44)
- Ghosted at Home (Featuring Bobby Gillespie) (04:33)
- Train With No Station (Featuring The Edge) (03:32)
- Bodies (Ffeaturing Lonnie Holley and Mary Lattimore) (05:23)
- Everything and Nothing (03:40)
- Travel Channel (Featuring Pan Amsterdam) (03:05)
- Country of the Blind (with Bobby Gillespie) (04:33)
- The Past (Being Eaten) (01:28)
- We Got to Move (Featuring Isaac Brock) (03:41)
- Noche Oscura (Featuring The Edge) (04:44)
- Skins (Featuring James Murphy) (05:09)
The album can be ordered on CD and vinyl via the band’s webstore either as standalone formats, or a bundle featuring both. Digital versions can be ordered via Amazon.com, and will be available on Spotify, Apple Music, Deezer and other services. More information about digital formats can be found here. The first single, featuring James Murphy has now been released, the title track “Los Angeles” and can be heard below. (The Edge does not appear on this track).
Budgie shares with NME: “Jacknife has been working with Bono and The Edge lives on the next hilltop. I’d met him a couple of times passing in a hotel or Soho or something, and he always took the time to come over, say hello and be approachable. It always gave me a warm feeling that The Edge found time to listen to what we’d been doing and lay down guitar after guitar. It’s not the guitar you’d expect.” Tolhurst mentions the experimental work that The Edge had done with Jah Wobble as an example of how his mindset matched their own.
We will get our discography entry up soon. The album will be available on November 3, 2023.