This section collects information about upcoming U2 releases, their status, and provide news links to updates about these projects. It will also detail information about other projects that the band are involved in such as solo projects, and other expected appearances. Below the updates on each project are links to news stories about upcoming projects where you can find more information about these releases. As things are officially announced, they are moved to their own discography entries on the site.
Discography / News Entries for Recent / Upcoming Projects
- Live Songs of iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE (2019 Fan Club Gift) (To start shipping in October)
- October on cream coloured vinyl (October 11, 2019)
- Pop on orange vinyl (October 11, 2019)
- Full Catalog Reissue in Japan (November 6, 2019)
eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Home Video Release
- The band filmed the recent closing show of the tour in Berlin for a home video release. Filming was done by David Mallet's Serpent Productions.
- Filming was done with 25 traditional cameras as well as a number of non-traditional wearable cameras.
- Additional filming was done in Manchester (Dress rehearsal), Belfast (Go Pro style cameras on the band) and night three in Dublin (Larry wearing cameras in his glasses.)
- The footage is being worked on for a late 2019 possible release. We are told that this release should be announced in October.
- The band did film two shows in Washington DC with traditional cameras as well, possibly for home video. Director Hamish Hamilton was identified as being at the shows being filmed, although we are told he was not directing that shoot. It is not expected that this footage will be used for the home video release.
- The band has also filmed their recent Apollo theatre show, and Newark shows with 360-degree cameras, for an unknown future project (Likely web based), not this home video release.
The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 Home Video Release
- U2 has worked with Anton Corbijn to film their two shows in Mexico City for a home video release. An accompanying limited theatre release is also being looked at.
- Additional filming was done in South America and in the USA in 2017 for this video.
- Originally the film was completed for a late 2018 release, but was pushed back into 2019 to allow for the possibility of some screenings in theatres. (Some branches of Universal had been told this would happen this year.) The movie however, still has not been scheduled, and we are told will not be scheduled for this year, although it will be eventually released.
Tribute to T. Rex
- In September 2017, while in New Orleans, U2 recorded a track for a T.Rex tribute album.
- Hal Willner has revealed that U2 are performing with Elton John on the track. The album is being produced by Hal Willner. Trombone Shorty will also be on the track.
- It has been reported that U2 have recorded "Bang A Gong (Get It On)" with Elton John for the project, and the album should be released this fall.
- The album is being called Angelheaded Hipster: Another Look at Marc Bolan and will accompany a documentary film titled The Children of the Revolution which will also feature U2.
- The album is due to be a 29 track double CD release.
Songs of Ascent Album or A New U2 Album (Unknown)
- Bono has confirmed that Songs of Ascent exists and may one day be released. In Rolling Stone in 2014, the following was printed "There has been no sign of it since, but Bono now sees it as the third part of the trilogy. 'Songs of Ascent will come,' he promises. 'And there are some beautiful songs.'"
- Daniel Lanois confirmed that although "Every Breaking Wave" was due to be on this album, the rest of the songs remain unreleased.
- The album has not been mentioned by the name Songs of Ascent for a while now, dating back to 2008.
- Adam Clayton on BBC Radio 2 in December 2017 told Chris Evans that "We've certainly got lots of leftover pieces, but by the time we come to make another record, I'm sure we'll start from scratch." which suggests they may focus on something other than the Songs of Ascent material.
- In July 2018, Adam Clayton further revealed, “This is the end of a four-year cycle of work and we really have no plans going into next year. We have got to the point where this is a full stop at the end of this project. We're looking at next year as being a year of regrouping.”
- In May 2018, The Edge revealed "I think there’s been three tours that have been on each other’s heels pretty quickly. I would say that we’ll probably take a little bit of a break at the end of this tour and regroup. There’s lots of ideas for the next records, but I think a bit of time off just to listen to music and to really feed our creative instincts is in order."
- In November 2018, at the end of the tour, Bono said "I'd like to make a balls to the wall rock album" when talking about what the band would be doing next, which sounds nothing like the descriptions of Songs of Ascent we've heard over the years.
- Even Larry when asked about the future said, “You never know. I assume there’ll be another album.”
- We are told that after the 2019 Australian tour the band will take a short period of time off and then are likely to continue working on this new album.
- In September 2019, Ryan Tedder confirmed he has been asked to work with U2 on their next album, in an interview. He stated, "I spoke to them just last week. We will work together on some new pieces when I am in Los Angeles. I think it’s their intention to make a record completely different from the last two. It will be easier. You know, it’s like a pendulum. When you make a very produced album, with so many instruments in it, the next project you want it to be more sparse, and you wonder, what if the disc had the sound of four musicians playing in a room?"
- In a podcast titled "Cry Power" featuring Bono and Hozier, recorded in 2019, Bono once again brought up the Songs of Ascent album, as well as the possibility of doing something new as the next album. "We have this beautiful, ecstatic album called Songs of Ascent, I don't know if we'll finish it soon or if it will take forever - it's about forever - that's its subject - Songs of Ascent are 15 psalms, they're named after the 15 steps from the womens chamber up to the Temple of Jerusalem. It's an old idea. I'm obsessed with David, King David in the bible, who turns out was right bollocks, but he was kind of an interesting figure, he was brutally honest with God at all times, even about himself being a bollocks. I'd love to do that. I'd also love to do just a straightforward-fuck-off-rock-and-roll album with this band. Because on this last tour, they've got to a place, I mean they've been there before, I think they've always had greatness in them, but we do a lot of very good in between the great. I felt like I just caught up to them on this last tour. And there were moments on the circular stage, the e-stage, on the Experience and Innocence tour, and they hit some powerful stuff. I'd like to find songs that could contain that fire."
Collaboration between Bono, Swizz Beatz and Kanye West (2012)
- This one has been on and off of our expected tracks list for years, but now we're putting it back on.
- The track was first mentioned for Swizz Beatz album Haute Living and later was mentioned for his 2018 release Poison.
- Swizz Beatz claims that track featuring Bono and Kanye will now appear on an R&B album that he plans to release as a follow up to Poison but we aren't exactly holding our breath as he has four albums in the works and the last one followed 11 years after his first.
- A snippet of the song was shared in 2012.
- The full song leaked on October 4, 2019, posted to YouTube, release plans for the song remain unknown, but Swizz Beatz has suggested it will be on his followup to his 2018 album.